Monday, April 26, 2010

Starting the 3rd trimester off with a BANG!!!

Stephen and I had a wonderful week of Spring Break with my family in Destin, Florida. While we were there, I turned 28 weeks and entered the last leg of this pregnancy. The Tuesday we returned I had my 28 week appointment, along with my glucose test. I went in for my exam, and of course had my blood pressure checked. For whatever reason, my blood pressure was alarmingly high! I suddenly became very terrified when I heard how high it was. They took my blood pressure several more time after that as I laid on my left side. It was very hard for me to calm down after that, which of course was not helping my blood pressure. It went down slightly but was still high. Dr. Wiist came in and told me that he was sending me straight to the hospital for monitoring and lab work. I read way too many pregnancy books, and I knew what his biggest concern was. He suspected, based on the way I looked, that my labs would return fine and I would just be monitored for a few hours and go home. He did have to give us the worst-case scenario. Worst case scenario was my blood pressure kept going up, my labs came back bad, and we would be having a baby. Needless to say, I immediately starting crying! Dr. Wiist is such a Godly many and reminded me whose hands this pregnancy was in, and then he asked if he could pray with us! We sat there in the exam room and the Dr. prayed for Emma, me and Stephen.

We then headed to the Women's Pavilion at Gwinnett Medical. We registered at the front and turned around to see my Dad. I was so happy and comforted to see him. We were taken back to this teeny tiny triage room. I got in the bed on my left side and was hooked to an automatic blood pressure cuff and fetal monitor. Stephen asked the nurse when I could eat lunch. Because of my glucose test, I had had nothing to eat, and it was already lunch time. Another nurse brought me a sandwich. It was difficult to eat because of my nerves, but I was starving at the same time. My cuff went off every 15 minutes. It kept going up anytime anyone would walk in the room. The only perk, and I mean ONLY, was getting to hear our sweet baby girl on the fetal monitor. She was showing off to everyone by moving around and getting hiccups! After about two hours my blood pressure was going down, although it was still elevated. While we were there, we were visited by my sweet sister-in-lay Mallory, niece Madison, nephew Brady, and Maclane. Madison gave Emma a kiss and told her to stay in Aunt E's belly. My labs came back and were fine. The nurse talked with Dr. Wiist and told me I could go home but would be on strict bed rest until Friday. There had never been a girl so happy to be put on bed rest. I was all smiles because I did not want to have this baby yet! We headed home and I headed for the couch to begin a long three days!

No comments: