Friday, June 21, 2013

Bittersweet: A Sad Day and a Happy Day

The other day Emma and I were in the car talking away as usual. I don't exactly remember what we were talking about, but I remember that she did or said something very grown up. I said to her, "Oh Emma, it's just so bittersweet to watch you grow." She then asked me what bittersweet means. I told her in this case it meant that it is sad for Mommy that her little girl would no longer be a baby, but I was very happy to watch her grow. I told her bittersweet means you can be sad AND happy at the same time! She paused for a few seconds and then responded with, "Mommy, that's just like when Jesus died on the cross! It was a sad day AND a happy day!!!"  She has remembered the story we read at bedtime in her Jesus book (as she calls it), and made a connection! While her three year old heart has not learned the depths of what happened on that day, she does realize that it was happy and sad. I can't wait for her to learn more about what made that day, and three days later, such a happy day!!!

Mark 10:14
  When Jesus saw this, he was indignant. He said to them " Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of God belongs to such as these. 


Proverbs 22:6  
Train a child in the way he should go and when he is old he will not turn from it.
Deuteronomy 11:19 
Teach them to your children, talking about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up.

No comments: