Tuesday, December 1, 2009

He is More Than Able....

I did not think I would be saying this anytime soon, but...


WE ARE PREGNANT!!!!

I would say I don't know how it happened, but I guess that would be a lie...teehee! In all seriousness, a few months ago I was told by my endocrinologist that I would not be getting pregnant anytime soon. My thyroid levels were too high. Even though I will be just 24 in January, I was very disappointed. The Dr. told me it would take a long time to happen. I had been on medicine for about a month and a half when I kept feeling like I was coming down with the flu. I was so achy and just felt like yuck from head to toe with zero energy. Then I would feel fine the next day until later in the evening. I was also going to bed around 8:00. This went on for a little over a week. On November 1, a Sunday morning, I was feeling particularly blah-like. All I wanted to do was lay in Stephen's office the whole morning at church. We left church to go out to eat with my family for my Dad's birthday. On the way, Stephen asked me if I thought I might be pregnant. I kep thinking surely not. The Dr. said the likelihood was slim to zero. Well curiousity got the best of us, and we took a test. I was just convinced it would not be positive. Much to my surprise, when two lines appeared instantly. We were elated! On Monday morning I called my endocrinologist immediately. This is when I started to get a bit overwhelmed. My meds had to be changed pronto and I had to give blood that day to check where my levels were at. I was driving all over the place to the lab and the pharmacist. I began taking 3 pills/3 times a day. As soon as we got that positive test, mine and Stephen's prayer life grew drastically over night. After miscarrying once, you take things a little more cautiously the second time around. We surrendered this pregancy to the Lord wholeheartedly. We prayed for the Lord to do His will, but we also prayed for the desires of our heart to be answered. We wanted this baby and pregnancy. A week later, my Dr. called and reduced my medicine. Apparently, my levels weren't completly leveled out, but they were better than he thought. I was so excited! I did not enjoy taking nine pills a day, but I was willing to do what was necessary. We got through the next couple of weeks with no problems other than nausea and food adversions. Stephen was so supportive. He just kept telling me how great it was that I felt so horrible. To be honest, it was the first time I took comfort in feeling so awful. A year ago, I felt great and could eat whatever I wanted. I was actually glad that nothing was appealing to eat.

We were scheduled for an ultrasound Tuesday, November 24th. Our prayers shifted to....Lord please just allow us to make it to that day and see a baby on the screen. It was at that first ultrasound last year when we realized there was no baby. We saw nothing on the screen, and it was devastating for the both of us. Tuesday arrived. On the way to work I just began praying to the Lord. This had been my routine every morning since we found out. One hand on the wheel, one had on my "stomache" and a conversation with the Lord surrendering my anxiety, fears, and desires. Yes, I had to do this on a daily, sometimes hourly, basis. On this Tuesday morning, I began pouring my heart out and the next thing I know the tears just begin flowing. I am sure the drivers passing thought I was somesort of crazy person crying and talking to "myself." I asked the Lord for peace, and he gave it to me. After work, Stephen and I headed down to my doctor's office. As we sat in  the ultrasound room, neither one of us said a word. I kept waiting for my super encouraging husband to tell me it would all be okay. Little did I know he was as scared as I was. We just kept looking at each other trying to offer comforting grins to one another. Our biggest prayer was that we would see a baby and a good heartbeat. When the lady began the ultrasound, I immediately saw both at the SAME time! It was the most beautiful thing I had ever seen! I knew beyond a shadow of a doubt that flickering was our baby's heart. My eyes filled with tears, but I was so thrilled and curious, I focused so I could hear everything the ultrasound tech was going to tell us. The baby was measuring 18 mm/8 weeks and 4 days...right on time. She said everything looked wonderful. I could not have agreed more. The heartbeat was 180...also great! I grabbed Stephen's hand, and he squeezed it back. I could have stayed there all day watching our little one making his/her first appearance. I looked over at Stephen, and his eyes were filled with big "daddy" tears. We both silently praised God for this miracle. We met with the Triage nurse after that. She was wonderful and put both of us at such ease.

There are still risks with the hyperthyroid, but we know it is all in God's hands. I am thankful for how much I have had to depend on the Lord. He is growing us more than we could imagine. We are praying for the Lord to continue to protect our little one and myself. So....without further ado, here is Baby Fountain's first portrait! We already love him/her so much!


1 comment:

Stephanie Perdue said...

This is such wonderful news. I am so happy for you both. Keep updating!