Friday, September 11, 2009

A Lingering Message

Have you ever listened to a sermon that seemed to resonate long after you had gone home? This is what happens to me every Sunday that I go in to hear Dr. Stanley preach at FBA. The Lord has obviously blessed this great man of God with a gift to speak to people. He is currently doing a sermon series on his life principles. The most memorable sermon to me was about accountability. The scripture reference was The Parable of the Ten Talents. He said that God will hold us accountable with the gifts he has entrusted to us! My gifts are specific to me! I was really encouraged by this! I sometimes look at all the things my husband can do for the Lord. I know my talents are different than Stephen's, but it is only human to compare. Dr. Stanley said the Lord is not going to hold you accountable for winning hundreds of people to Christ if you are not a preacher. Dr. Stanley said you will not be held accountable for something you are not called to do, like preach. However, God will hold me accountable for using the spiritual gifts he has given me. He asked us to list all the of the people and things we were held accountable to. Here are four things from my list:


1. The Lord- my relationship with God

2. My Husband-my faithfulness, love, and support

3. My Family-to love them unconditionally

4. Chestnut Mountain Elementary- this includes my students:teaching them what the state has held me accountable to teach, this also means loving them like Christ would love them


Dr. Stanley has spoken numerous time since we have been at FBA about the power of teachers. He can still remember the teachers who loved and encouraged him. He also remembers teachers who were critical and demeaning. It has always been my prayer to not only be the best teacher I can be, but to be remembered most for loving my students. I know there are days at school when I get frustrated and fail in this department. This message made me realized that school was another area of accountability for me. I have learned so much from Dr. Stanley since June when we moved to FBA. The thing I love most about Dr. Stanley's preaching is that he is unbelievably wise, but he coveys everything is such a simple way. I am sure he is intelligent enough to preach about things in a way that only a theologian with a doctorate or a seminary student would understand. I am soaking up our time here. I feel so blessed to be able to sit under the preaching of such a wise, Godly man.

No comments: